The "Yosemite of the East"
Panthertown Valley has everything you want in an awesome dayhike: dramatic vistas from rock balds, staggering granite cliffs, spectacular foliage, cascading, waterfalls, plunge pools, and an invigorating walk in the woods. Download this GPS map to plan and follow.
The view from "Salt Rock" is like Yosemite's Inspiration Point.
GoogleEarth_Image.jpg (Approx. 135 KB) opens in a new window.
- Download the free GPS Map in GPS eXchange (.gpx) file format, which can be read and transferred to your GPS using free software. (The .gpx file will appear in a new window where you can File > Save as... on your computer)
GPS Map Details
File Name valley.gpx
File Size: 91 KB
Revised: 15 January 2008
Class A1 Data
Waypoints: 18 points of interest, including: parking, trailheads, vistas, and waterfalls.
PV001 - End of the road for low clearance vehicles
PV002 - Parking closest trailhead.
PV003 - Gated entrance
PV004 - Trailhead registry sign in sign out
PV005 - "Salt Rock" - Rocky area with scenic view down to valley bellow.
PV100 - Junction with lesser trail to Frolictown Creek and Buck knob.
PV111 - Sand bar beach middle of Panthertown Creek, ruins.
PV114 - Bridge over Greenland Creek at eastern end of Panthertown Valley. Trail to Schoolhouse Falls is through the woods south of the road before the bridge.
PV122 - "Schoolhouse Falls" 15' high (10' fall + 5' cascade) and 15' wide into large plunge pool. The rocky sandbar opposite the falls is situated perfectly to receive the sun.
PV200 - Trail junction. Main trail to Schoolhouse Falls follows old logging road to east. Trail leaving junction to south, heads towards Panthertown Creek headwaters and Green Mountain. Trail leaving junction to north, parallels main trail to east end of valley.
PV218 - Bridge. Cross over Panthertown Creek on small bridge.
PV219 - "Granny Burrell Falls" - Panthertown Creek flows over rounded granite, shoaling as a 15' high fall. The large pool downstream is picturesque.
PV300 - Bridge. Cross bridge to continue to schoolhouse falls. Leave main trail to ascend to eastern end of valley.
PV315 - Leave road be venturing through thick woods, rhododendron to Tuckasegee River.
PV316 - "Upper Warden Falls" - Bedrock viewing area at base of falls.
PV520 - Junction of trails up Little Green, connector over to main trail, and the trail along the south side of the valley.
PV521 - Junction with trail that connects to trail on south side of Little Green Mtn.
PV523 - Vista - Several scenic overlooks on Little Green Mountain rock balds.
- Main Trail - Parking lot to schoolhouse falls along roadbed.
- Little Green Mountain Trail - from Schoolhouse Falls, up over eastern side of Little Green to vistas on top and back down to south side of valley.
- Connector - Connector between south valley, little green mountain, and the main trail.
- Big Green Mountain - spur to scramble up Big Green
- North Valley Trail - to northeastern end of Panthertown Valley
- Spur - Trail to Granny Burrell Falls, Panthertown Valley headwaters and backside of Big Green Mountain.
- Trail along the south side of Panthertown Valley
- Connector between main trail and north valley trail
- Spur to Upper Warden Falls
Adventure Travel Tip
This area is popular with guided equestrian tours, especially in the Fall. If you encounter horses on your visit, you may opt to stay off the main trail through the center of the valley.
From Cashiers, follow US64 east 2 miles, turning onto Cedar Creek Road (SR1120). In another 2 miles, at "Zachary's Gap" Chris tams tree farm, turn right on SR1121 and go about 3 miles where vehicles with good ground clearance can continue another half-mile to gravel parking lot.
Please share your comments about the GPS map of Panthertown Valley